In a globalized and knowledge intensive world, consumers tend to make purchasing decisions based on the information available with them. In India, consumers collect information about the foods from a wide variety of sources, such as family/traditional knowledge, education, the media and advertisements, food product labels et cetera. Besides the general product and nutritional information, health benefits of a food are becoming important instruments in engaging with consumers. In the global regulatory terminologies, such information is defined as “claims”. In order to understand the regulatory frameworks governing claims in general, and structure function claims specifically, the industry needs to comprehend how they are regulated.
The workshop discussion will focus
- Practice in other countries
- Adopting the principle of proportionality of evidence required for the claim type
- Listing of generic claims, based on generally accepted scientific agreement
- Adopting approval levels that range from mere registration to full authorization
- Reviewing claims on products in the market
The output of the day’s discussion will be arranged in a proposal for the authority’s consideration.
DuPont Nutrition & Health speaker will share his expert views at this session as an industry spokesperson.
Topic: Types of Claims: Global Practice & Harmonization
Speaker: Dr. Jasvir Singh, Regulatory, Scientific & Government Affairs Leader - South Asia, DuPont Nutrition & Health
Click here for more information